Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Goal

A friend of mine has just a four month old baby. She mentioned in one of her blogs that she reads Scripture to the baby each night. I have a goal...I want to read Scripture to the baby every night, but from this passage in 1 Kings 3:7.

"Now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people to numerous to count or number. So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong." The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this. So God said "Since you have asked for this and not wealth and long life, nor have asked for death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice. I will do what you have asked and give you a wise and discerning heart.....Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for both riches and honor.

I love how Solomon was a young boy who had his priorities straight. He didn't want material things, he asked for wisdom and discerning heart. He was given much at a young age and the Lord trusted him to be a leader.

1 Kings 4: 29
God gave Solomon wisdom and very great insight.

Joshua 1:7
Be careful to obey all the laws Moses has given you; do not turn from it to the right or the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. (9) Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

I want this precious baby to keep God's laws in his heart and to follow his path and like it says to be successful wherever it goes. That this life in me would be strong, courageous, and not have any fear in whatever life brings him/her.

I hope I can keep this up to read this to the baby everyday. It's great to read it stories and rhymes, but how much better is it to read it scripture and pray for these things that I am reading.

3 comments:

Janna Howard said...

as long as you show it a picture of Auntie J before it goes to bed too

Kelly Weinberg said...

I think that is a wonderful idea!! Some friends of ours have a 5 month old son, and the Dad gets up every morning and reads his Bible out loud with his son in the room!! Those words are forming their baby to be a man of God! The same with be true with your baby (only it could be raised to be a woman of God!).

Judith and Lance said...

What a fantastic idea. I should start reading Bella's children's Bible to her each night!